Last year, I took part in Nick’s Chapter-a-day read-along of Les Miserables and enjoyed it so much that I’ve signed up to his 2019 challenge! I know that I would never have had the patience to get through Les Miserables without the read-along and I enjoyed seeing everyone else’s thoughts as we were working our way through the novel. This year, I’m hoping to expand my horizons even further!
So, by popular demand, Nick has chosen four books to read in 2019 which in total have 365 chapters. They are:
- Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes #quixotereadalong
- The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas #montecristoreadalong
- Lillith by George McDonald #lilithreadalong
- The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens #curiosityshopreadalong
Although the idea is obviously to read one chapter a day, last year I found it easier to read in larger chunks. The beauty of this challenge is that you can structure it to whatever suits you – you can read on ahead or catch up whenever you get the chance!
I’ve copied the below from Nick’s original post about the read along, so if you want to join in you’ve got all the information that you need:
How to Participate in the 2019 Chapter-a-Day Read-Along
- Get a copy of each of the four books.
- If you have your own blog, write a welcome post explaining why you are joining the read-along and what you hope to gain from it. Leave a link to your post in the comments section on Nick’s original blog post. If you don’t have a blog, you can leave your information in the comments section as well.
- Download the daily schedule: Nick’s Chapter a Day Reading Schedule 2019
- Commit to reading a chapter a day. If you get behind or race ahead, no worries. Life happens.
- If you feel like it, post a line a day from the current chapter on social media, using the hashtags listed above. Nick will be posting to Twitter and Facebook each day and would love to read your thoughts, too. When you post, please respect the reading experience of those who may not know the full story. In other words, no spoilers!
- Be sure to subscribe to Nick’s blog to receive any read-along updates.
The 2019 Chapter-a-Day Reading Schedule
Here is the broad outline of the year:
- Don Quixote: January 1 to May 8 (126 chapters plus 2 prologues = 128 days)
- The Count of Monte Cristo: May 9 to September 2 (117 chapters = 117 days)
- Lilith: September 3 to October 19 (47 chapters = 47 days)
- The Old Curiosity Shop: October 20 to December 31 (73 chapters = 73 days)
Nick’s blog has more information including sign up information, graphics and links to where you can get hold of copies of all the books listed so please check it out – and join us!